10 October 2015

Google Autocompletes 'Bitcoin Buy'

After my attempt at Buying a Chess Set with Bitcoin flopped, I wondered,
Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Rather than try to buy a specific item -- this isn't about Amazon or eBay, after all -- I should look at the types of goods and services where bitcoin is preferred.

Here I fell back on the old 'Google Autocompletes' trick. I fed Google the keywords 'bitcoin purchase' and Google immediately suggested adding the words

online, uk, paypal, canada, india, usa, ...
On the keywords 'bitcoin buy' Google suggested adding
online, and sell, with credit card, price, instantly, debit card, paypal, gold, stuff, usa, ...

Since 'online' started both lists, I added that to both phrases, e.g. 'bitcoin purchase online', and sent it to Google. Here I received a list of pages for buying bitcoin. Since that wasn't what I was looking for, I extended the search by adding a single letter at a time, e.g. 'a', then recorded the suggestions that Google made for that letter. On adding 'a', it suggested

australia, alcohol, anything

On adding 'b',

books

On adding 'c',

credit card, canada

And so on. Now that gave me plenty of ideas for further research -- Why the emphasis on geography? (australia, canada, ...)? Why suggest other means of payment (credit card, debit card, paypal)? -- but I ran out of time to pursue them. I'll come back to the subject on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment