17 October 2015

Buy Bitcoin Geographically

At the end of my previous post, Google Autocompletes 'Bitcoin Buy', I noted,
That gave me plenty of ideas for further research -- Why the emphasis on geography? (australia, canada, ...)?

Starting with 'buy bitcoin online australia', first on the list was Buy and sell bitcoins in Australia, with cash and online.

LocalBitcoins.com is a marketplace for trading bitcoins locally for cash or online payments of your choice. Find local bitcoin exchangers in your country or start your own bitcoin exchange for profit.

The LocalBitcoins.com page has three sections:-

  • Buy bitcoins online in Australia
  • Sell bitcoins online in Australia
  • Buy and Sell Bitcoins in these popular cities in Australia

In the first two sections, the various 'Buy' prices (~380 AUD) were about 20 AUD higher than the 'Sell' prices, making this the online equivalent of a currency exchange. In the third section, the first listing was for 'Trade bitcoins in Sydney NSW, Australia', where the highest prices were for 'Buy bitcoins with cash'. Since I think I know where this is going, I'll leave it there.

What about 'buy bitcoin online belgium', where I happen to reside? The equivalent page is Buy and sell bitcoins in Belgium. I don't have any cash that I need to convert to bitcoin, but I'll keep it in mind. Also interesting is Dutch Bitcoin Exchange Bitplaats Expands to Belgium (January 2014).

Belgian users can now trade digital currency from Bitplaats using the country's dominant online payments platform, Bancontact/Mister Cash.

Bancontact++ is the country's primary system for paying with bank cards, aka debit cards. This brings me to the next question from the 'Google Autocompletes' post:-

Why suggest other means of payment (credit card, debit card, paypal)?

I'll tackle this in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment