28 May 2016

Bitcoin Deanonymization

How's it going with that 'online bitcoin course', last mentioned in Going Deeper into Bitcoin (March 2016)? At that time I wrote,
It took me exactly a week to work through the first two lectures. I'm sure that I won't be able to maintain this pace week after week, and I only skimmed the readings.

I've reached lecture six where I found an interesting image in '6.2 Overview of Bitcoin Deanonymization'. At about 11:40 into the video, the following chart is shown.

A similar chart can be found in the paper A Fistful of Bitcoins: Characterizing Payments Among Men with No Names Sarah Meiklejohn et al. The caption there (p.9) says,

Figure 6: A visualization of the user network. The area of the cluster represents the external incoming value; i.e., the bitcoins received from other clusters but not itself, and for an edge to appear between two nodes there must have been at least 200 transactions between them. The nodes are colored by category: blue nodes are mining pools; orange are fixed-rate exchanges; green are wallets; red are vendors; purple are (bank) exchanges; brown are gambling; pink are investment schemes; and grey are uncategorized.

Also interesting -- to me, at least -- are the 16 bitcoin services listed in the chart:-

bitcoin.de, bitcoinica, bitmit, bitpay, bitstamp, btc-e, deepbit, gibse, instawallet, mtgox, mybitcoin, okpay, ozcoin, satoshi btc dice, silk road, slush

Since few of those are household names, I'll look at them in another post.

9 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, it is the type of information I’ve long been trying to find. It matches to my requirements a lot. Thank you for writing this information. blockchain jobs

    ReplyDelete
  2. A note on spam: All comments are moderated. I'll let spam-like comments through as long as they are directly related to the topic of this blog. I can always delete them later if I feel that the comment function is being abused. - Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ethereum is the strongest rival to Bitcoin in the cryptocurrency market and many wonder at the question of Bitcoin vs Ethereum. Bitcoin

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for your interesting infomation. bitcoin robot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us. exchanger24

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. Crypto lad

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will persist hardly ever that it really is awesome! The blog is normally details also typically fabricate great entitys. rtx 3080ti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our world is changing thanks to the rise of digital cryptocurrency. Bitcoin is one of the most popular and demanding digital currencies around. Bitcoin has became a hot topic of interest and a lot of people are investing in it. Before you start investing in Bitcoin, this article basically breakdown the mechanics of bitcoin, and how to get started step by step. bitcoin profit

    ReplyDelete